Senior Employment Counsel
WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com.
The Senior Employment Counsel, is part of a team of employment legal specialists with a mission to deliver top-quality, strategic, and cost-conscious employment related legal solutions to business issues, using technology to increase efficiency and outreach. The individual will be responsible to successfully handle daily employment advice counseling across multiple southern states, government regulatory position statements and inquiries, special employment related internal projects as needed, training, wage and hour analysis, trade secret and employment litigation.
Title: Senior Employment Counsel - Atlanta, GA
How you will impact WestRock:
- Apply employment knowledge to frame, simplify and solve complex employment issues; focus on identifying root causes to create solutions in a timely and decisive manner; reconcile conflicting and/or incomplete information to develop solutions
- Logically process information to produce insights in a consumable format; aggregate, cleanse, and disseminate data in structured formats to support better employment business decisions
- Develop short and long-term courses of action that support the organization's overall employment related vision and mission; balance business, technical, and operational issues when determining an employment strategy; incorporate knowledge of WestRock’s goals/strategy and capitalize on opportunities and manage employment risks
- Provide sound advice and counsel to the business in a variety of employment legal topics
- Conduct investigations, research, and advise with respect to employment related contracts, disputes, compliance, laws, and regulations
- Develop processes and policies to address employment related legal needs
- Partner with the HR leadership to draft employment policies, employment contracts and severance agreements
- Manage all employment and trade secret litigation in your southern region.
- Be highly collaborative with key stakeholder and team members
- Provide effective training to HR and business partners
What you need to succeed:
- Demonstrated legal experience in employment advice and counsel as well as employment and trade secret litigation (usually single plaintiff),
- Expertise consistent with 9+ years of practice in employment law including experience with relevant regulatory bodies and governmental agencies (at least 5 of those years with a law firm)
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited college or university
- Bar admission in good standing in the U.S., preferably in a southern state just based upon the location of the case load
- Skilled in litigation and discovery (i.e. document retrieval and production, interrogatory response preparation, depositions, and motion practice)
- Trial experience as first or second chair
- Ability to offer training effectively
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability, and excellence
- Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
- An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies, and potential
- A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.